Burnham On Sea v Kilve 1st XI – Match Report for 24th August 2013

Kilve took the trip to Burnham sitting pretty at the top of the league, and knowing that a win over the third-placed home team would pretty much guarantee them the division 3 title.

After winning the toss, Kilve skipper Pete Stone put the home side in on a track that looked hard but still had a lot of grass on it.

Gary Stone opened from the pavilion end and found good bounce from the off, while Ryan Penwell was enjoying the good carry at the other end.

Stone drew first blood, inducing a thickish outside edge off Bloodworth that was superbly held by Jay Darrell at second slip, before Penwell bowled Dalrymple for 15, and followed that up with a solid catch at first slip by Stuart lloyd to remove House for 25.

Darrell and James Payne replaced both openers after very tidy spells, and they were both soon in the wickets column  – Darrell trapping Tipler plumb in front for a duck, before Payne dismissed Smith for 9 in an identical way.

Darrell then bowled Harding for another duck before Payne had Harris caught at extra cover by Andrew Martin who took a superb one-handed catch.

Unfortunately for Kilve, they couldn’t make another breakthrough as both Aston and Booth took the attack to the bowlers, playing a series of quality strokes mixed with little bit of good fortune that saw the Burnham total reach 167-7 after the allotted 45 overs, Aston scoring a superb 31 and Booth a similar 30.

After tea, Kilve openers Andrew and Ed Martin looked to get the chase off to a good start but unfortunately, Andrew fell, strangled down the leg side off Booth for a quick-fire 18 before his father feathered behind off a lifting delivery from another quality Booth delivery for 13.

Lloyd and Darrell began rebuilding before Lloyd was caught at backward point off Aston for 11 while Darrell was caught and bowled by the same player for 10.

Gary Stone joined Chris James in the middle but the pair were together for just one ball as Stone holed out trying to hit over the infield first ball, leaving Marc Girling to join James in regaining some momentum. He fell for just 7 though, bowled by Smith for 7 before Payne walked out with Kilve sat on 69-6!

Payne looked in good touch, but James played all round a straight one to walk back after scoring just 6. Quinton Button, Kilve’s overseas pro (ahem) joined Payne in the middle and together the pair slowly silenced the home team by scoring freely and quickly until Payne flicked a leg side ball to be well caught low down at square leg, before Button fell for 9 shortly after.

With over 60 runs needed Kilve’s resistance looked pretty much over, and although skipper Stone and Penwell put up brief resistance, it was indeed when Stone was bowled for 8 by Green trying to up the scoring, leaving the Kilve total adrift at 120 all out.

It was a brave effort by Kilve, and one that gained the required 11 points for promotion, but the Burnham attack proved too strong and with the excellent Ashton and Booth putting in superb all-round performances it left Kilve needing to win their final game to take the league title.

One thought on “Burnham On Sea v Kilve 1st XI – Match Report for 24th August 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *