Kilve 1st XI find the going tough at Cheddar

The Kilve 1st XI travelled to Cheddar in the hope of at least a game after the previous week’s washout. Upon arrival at the ground, it was obvious the toss was going to be crucial, with several damp spots on the wicket and a slow, soft outfield.

Standing in his first game as Kilve skipper, Ryan Penwell called incorrectly and found his side inserted – Jay Darrell and Chris James walked out, Chris making his first appearance at the top of the order.

The pair found the going tough, with excellent bowling and field placement from the Cheddar side and Darrell fell early, yorked by the skipper McManus for 3, before Chris James (4) followed almost straight away, run out looking for a second that was never on.

It was left to Andrew Martin, making his first appearance of the season and James Payne to rebuild the innings, and on a wicket that offered neither and pace or reliable bounce the two found runs hard to come by.

With the score trickling along thanks to some very tight bowling and very good fielding Martin looked to up the rate, but was caught by Willis of his own bowling before Payne was joined at the crease by Andrew’s father Ed. The pair again attempted to rebuild, but again things ambled along before Ed went to launch one over the top and was comprehensively bowled by Clark.

Payne was joined by Stone, and just when he was looking fairly set, he feathered behind down the leg side off Clark, and was well held for 22 by Harris who looked very tidy behind the stumps.

Marc Girling was next in but unfortunately didn’t trouble the scorers, after which Dan Sefton joined Stone and together the pair hung around for several overs before Stone was caught on the boundary for 16.

It was a wicket that no batsmen ever felt in on, and it was a case of making hay before a ball had your number on it, and that’s what Peter Stone tried to do.

Unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be as he was given leg before for just 2, before young Josh Taylor found himself walking back after scoring 1, leaving the skipper Penwell and Sefton 3 overs to try and push the score above 90. Thankfully the pair succeeded before Penwell was run out yards from the crease for 6, Sefton calling for an impossible second, leaving himself not out on 10, and the Kilve innings sat on a paltry 93.

After tea, the Kilve team hoped an early breakthrough would produce a wobble or two and Darrell delivered the goods, striking in the 5th over with two wickets. He bowled Dowden comprehensively for 7, before trapping Harris plumb leg before the very next ball.

Penwell struck next, Payne taking a sharp pouch at fly slip off an outside edge to remove Veal without troubling the scorers, before Darrell had Panes well caught at short midwicket by A. Martin for just 3.

The Kilve team were in high spirits, and with the score sat at 32-4 sensing an upset may be on the cards.

Unfortunately they found J. Callon in good form, and although he was lucky to survive several fairly agricultural mows finding the gap and a straightforward dropped catch by Penwell off the bowling of Payne, he played with authority and a straight bat. Well supported by Mehlig at the other end the pair inched the score towards the winning line despite some frugal bowling from Payne and G. Stone.

Stone was replaced by his namesake Peter, who managed to snare Callon for a well made 48 – well held at cow corner by the outgoing bowler himself.

It was left to Mehlig to take his team over the line, hitting a maximum over deep square leg to finish unbeaten on 27, Cheddar winning by 5 wickets with over 10 overs to spare.

Even thought the loss was disappointing, the Kilve team put up a superb fight of it and the team spirit shown throughout was fantastic. Now let’s look forward to Barrington next week, and hopefully back to winning ways!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *