Kilve 1st XI v Horrington – Match Report for 17th August 2013

Horrington took the trip to Sea Lane on yet another drizzly August day with some seriously threatening clouds overhead, and it came as no surprise that Kilve skipper Peter Stone opted to stick the opposition in.

Regular openers Gary Stone and Ryan Penwell took the new ball in the customary two-paced attack. Stone took his first wicket in the third over, bowling G. Russell through the gate for 7, before he sent Fudge packing (ahem) with another textbook delivery – castling the batsman after he’d put on a quick-fire 17.

Penwell was also in the action early, bowling Pardy for 2 with a booming out-swinger that had him playing the wrong line, before veteran stumper Ed Martin took a feather behind whilst standing up to leave Chappell walking back for the same score.

It was the same combination that proved Gray’s undoing, as he feathered behind to Martin in a carbon copy dismissal to leave the Horrington innings reeling on 35-5 after just 17 overs.

Penwell took his final wicket with the left-handed Lewis attempting a tickle round the corner, but only proceeding to get a leading edge that popped straight into the skipper Stone’s hands for the easiest catch you’ll see.

James Payne replaced Penwell at the Sea End and was straight into his groove, making the batsmen play every ball. He produced an unplayable yorker to castle young Ball for a duck before Jay Darrell replaced Stone’s excellent spell at the Village End.

He was among the wickets straight away, bowling Walker for 14 and trapping Whittaker plumb LBW in consecutive deliveries. Unfortunately he didn’t get the hat trick, but after yet another maiden Payne over at the other end, he took his third and final wicket. Proving far too quick for K. Russell, the bails were flying before the batsman had completed his shot, and the Horrington score sat on a lowly 64 all out.

The teams were quickly back out, and with the threat of rain increasing every minute, Kilve skipper Stone decided an aggressive chase was needed and opened with Andrew Martin and Darrell – both fresh from winning the Last Man Standing competition the night before.

What followed can only be described as carnage. All three of Horrington’s bowlers suffered as the batsmen put them to the sword in devastating style.

The boundaries seemed to come almost every ball, but this was no ‘swing with your eyes closed slog-fest’. Martin drove and pulled superbly, and saved his best for a perfectly timed straight six off Gray that was by far the biggest the players had ever seen at the ground.

Darrell (31no) on the other hand, was calmness personified. He tucked several balls to the rope behind square with ease before he unleashed a square cut that Robin Smith would be proud of, following that up with a glorious back foot punch through extra cover that just beat the chasing fielders to the boundary line.

It was left to Martin (34no) to score the winning runs,. Taking advantage of a shortish leg stump delivery he swivelled on the back foot and guided the ball to wide fine leg to end Horrington’s agony and complete a fabulous 10 wicket win – in just action-packed 6 overs!

It was a perfectly timed chase as the rain started to fall shortly after, but by that time the Kilve players were tucking into tea, safe in the knowledge they had gained another maximum points win.

One thought on “Kilve 1st XI v Horrington – Match Report for 17th August 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *