Uphill Castle 2nd XI v Kilve 1st XI – Match Report for 29th June 2013

The Kilve 1st team arrived at the picturesque Uphill ground and were greeted with a flat and hard track with a gorgeous blue sky overhead. It was definitely a bat first day, so it was no surprise that Kilve skipper Pete Stone lost the toss and found his team in the field.

With the absence of Darrell, the returning pair of Gary Stone and Ryan Penwell took the new ball at either end and it was Stone who struck first, with his namesake, the skipper taking a super pouch at mid off to remove the opener Doyle for a duck.

It wasn’t long before Penwell was in the action though, and he bowled numerous jaffa’s before Llewellyn produced a thick outside edge that looped to cover point and was caught by Andrew Martin who made a lot of ground to take the catch.

Hodder followed soon after, caught at backward point by James Payne after attempting one too many big shots, and Oultram followed shortly after to give Penwell his third wicket, well held at long off by Cris Taylor to walk back after scoring 17.

Stone then took the second and final wicket of his superb spell, with Payne snaring a hard-hit Tasker drive at mid on to leave the Uphill innings in trouble.

Carl Clemenson replaced Penwell and picked up two quick wickets (despite a mammoth hangover!), removing Bickell and Dibben(superbly caught at slip by Stuart Lloyd) in quick succession for single figure scores before Payne, replacing Stone had Holt caught at square leg by Penwell for 6.

Payne was hopeful of more wickets but it wasn’t to be as Clemenson rounded off a superb spell by cleaning up the tail, with both Chapman and Kuht bowled for just a single run between them leaving the Uphill innings sat on 88 all out. It was superb effort from the Kilve bowlers, and one that they had not expected given the conditions and playing surface.

After the decision was made to switch round straight away, Kilve openers Taylor and veteran stumper Edward Martin took to the middle with positive intent, and Taylor especially was in no mood to mess around. He took 17 off Holt’s first over, thanks to some wayward bowling and the boundary rope was found numerous times in the first few overs.

Although Martin fell to a feather behind to the keeper for a single run, the chase never looked in doubt, as Martin Jr, joining Taylor at the crease didn’t take long to get his eye in, hitting several trademark drives.

Taylor was in ruthless form, and proceeded to dispatch both Holt and Leach to the rope regularly, including four successive boundaries off Holt in one over, the last one taking him past the 50 mark in just 8 overs.

Not to be left out Martin was also scoring at more than a run a ball, but fittingly the winning runs were scored by Taylor with a crunching straight drive for 4 leaving the opposition looking shellshocked – the chase had taken just 10.2 overs and Martin and Taylor ended 18 and 58 not out respectively.

It was a superb performance with both bat and ball that earned Kilve another maximum points result to keep their lead at the top of the division intact.

3 thoughts on “Uphill Castle 2nd XI v Kilve 1st XI – Match Report for 29th June 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *