Wedmore 1st XI v Kilve 1st XI – Match Report for 6th July 2013

The Kilve 1st XI travelled to the heart of Somerset cider country on what was a perfect day for drinking the stuff itself – bright blue sky without a hint of cloud.

Upon losing the toss, Kilve were put in on a track that looked to have a fair bit of grass left on it, but looked flat and hard so it was probably a good toss to lose!

Regular openers Cris Taylor and Ed Martin set about business as usual until Taylor nicked behind off Boley for 21 before Ed (12) followed shortly after by playing on to a full length ball.

Unfortunately, Andrew Martin didn’t last too long either, caught  at backward point trying to cut a delivery that was too close and the ever reliable Gary Stone (4) followed soon after, top edging a delivery back to Boley for his first caught and bowled of the game.

It was left to James Payne and Carl Clemenson to rebuild the Kilve innings, as it had hardly passed 50 before the pair came together. Luckily they did just that, playing with aggressive intent yet respecting the good balls and the pair put on over 50 before Clemenson drove uppishly to cover for a well made 21.

Payne (19), needing a runner after tweaking his achilles fell to a well disguised slower ball from that man Boley to give a diving return catch, and after Chris James fell for 7 the Kilve innings again looked to be teetering on the edge of collapse.

Fortunately, the young pairing of Jay Darrell and Mark Girling put on another solid partnership, with both players keeping the score ticking over on a track that had started to offer some uneven bounce.

Girling fell for 13, and Darrell was bowled for 21 after some great running from the pair had seen the score pass 150, before skipper Peter Stone (5no) and Ryan Penwell (6no) pushed the Kilve total to 169 for 9 off of their 45 over – a tricky chase on a wicket that had started to offer quite a bit for the bowler.

After tea, captain P. Stone opened as he had done the week before with the seam/spin combination of Penwell and G. Stone, and the pair offered nothing to the batsmen for over 10 overs. It was Penwell who struck first, snaring L. Patch for a single before Stone joined him in the wickets column with Haining holing out after scoring just 6.

With the score way behind the required rate and two early wickets down it could have been easy for the Wedmore batsmen to try and smash their way out of trouble but both Boley and P. Patch played superbly to bring the home team right back in the match.

Both batsmen punished anything off in either length or width, with Boley hitting some crunching drives, and Patch scoring freely square of the wicket on either side.

The partnership was brought to an end by Carl ‘The Janitor’ Clemenson who swung the match right back in Kilve’s favour with a superb spell of hostile bowling, beating the bat numerous times with some truly unplayable deliveries.

In a superb 12 over spell, he snared the important wicket of Boley for 35, before Cook feathered behind for 22, Halmkin and Hunt were bowled for 3 and 0 respectively, Purves was caught by Martin Jr for another duck before the danger man Patch snicked behind for a fantastic 65 to leave Clem with figures of 6-37.

Once Patch was dismissed the chase looked all but over, and Kilve didn’t hang around long enough to find out, as J Burgess was run out attempting a quick single that was never on, before Darrell returned to take the final scalp, bowling R. Burgess for a duck to end the Wedmore resistance on 152.

With standout performances from Boley, Patch and Clemenson, it was a fantastic game that ebbed and flowed and truly could have gone either way, but with Carl’s superb spell proving decisive, it was another win for Kilve that extended their lead at the top of the league.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *